By: Yaritza Zayas MS, MFT, LPC, NCC
We live in such a fast paced world. In the blink of an eye things change. The average attention span is 7 seconds! In such a quick place, we can miss the good things that cause us joy and give joy to others. We can be so distracted that we forget the power of kind word, a smile, or an act of compassion can be to someone in need. Often times, we take out our negative feelings on others instead of directing the energy into something more positive. Showing compassion for others not only helps the and transform their lives, it can also help boost your own spirits and make you a generally happy person With so much sadness in the world spread a little cheer wherever you are . Here are 5 easy ways to show compassion for friends, strangers, and the planet!
1. Every morning: choose happiness. Wake up with enthusiasm. Be Happy! when you are in a good mood you can’t help but spread cheer to those around you. A smile is contagious.
2. Try to perform one random act of kindness per day. Clean mess you didn’t make, or leave a dollar by the vending machine for the next person’s snack, help someone who’s lost.
3. Use your manners. Please, thank you, you’re welcome, etc; show that you appreciate and acknowledge those around you.
4. Volunteer! Give of your time in some way. Whether you participate in a park clean up,animal shelter, or senior citizen’s center. Find something you love. Don’t’ know where to start? Go to: http://www.volunteer.org
5. Be aware! Having consideration for people, animals, and our planet makes an impact Adopt a pet, conserve water, recycle, plant a tree, etc. These actions not only serve to make an immediate impact to your world.
there are a lot of ways to show compassion and be helpful to others. You can make a difference. Pay it forward! Start practicing today!