Depression has a way of sapping our energy. It consumes our mind and bodies. Depression recovery is possible. It may take some time. But on the other side lies a life full of vigor waiting for you. Depression is a liar that whispers (maybe even yells) you are inadequate. As a result, your sense of self is tarnished. If you are suffering from depression I urge you to seek help! The following tips do not replace quality mental health care however when applied in combination with therapy, they can be beneficial.
1. Get into the habit of challenging your thinking – especially when it falls into the same old repeated, negative patterns.
2. Keep a journal – and deliberately look for the good things in your life.
3. Spend time with people who can see your strengths, and who make you feel good about yourself.
4. Keep pictures or a collage of things you enjoy and love. For years, I had a passion board in my office as a reminder of all the things that bring joy to my life. It a daily reminder of all the things I love and inspire me.
5. Leave positive notes and quotes around your room, or inside your wallet, or on your desk, or phone.
6. See “failure” a lesson. So, take the time to brainstorm, all of the lessons learned from something that did not work out. .
7. Deliberately nurture and care for yourself – and see this as essential, and a top priority.
Finally, give yourself the time and the grace you need.