We are addicted to being busy. People often say how busy they are (all the time and everyday) that they do not have time to do anything fun. I would challenge that. Although many of us are busy: career, home, relationships (romantic and not), children, etc we can find at least 10 minutes in our day to do one simple act for ourselves.
I observe as people go through the motions every single day without taking time to slow down. As a result I see people stressed, overwhelmed, complaining a lot and quite frankly really unhappy. The concept of self-care has completely gotten away from us.
Self-care is now defined by money and having TONS of time. When in fact, self-care is crucial to our well being. It does not (need) involve money nor is it necessary to have lots of time.
So, I have listed 15 ways I engage in self-care. I hope you find them helpful and give them a try!
- Take a bubble bath.
- Read a good book (on days I am particularly busy I set my timer for 10 minutes!)
- Read a fun magazine
- Listen to music
- List 10 things you’re grateful for
- Play with dogs
- Take three deep breaths
- Unfollow negative people on social media
- Unplug from technology for an hour
- Take a nap (this is a new habit. Prior to mommy-hood I was not a napper. Now it is amazing!)
- Watch a funny movie or TV show (My go-to: The Golden Girls)
- Wear your pajamas all day
- Find a hobby (volunteering, book club, walking club, learn a new language, etc)