Your mental state and health has the potential to great influence your physical well being. physical wellness (i.e medical health). Whether you have a diagnosed medical condition or not it’s very important that you take care of yourself completely. Often times, a person becomes hyper focused on the bodily sensations ( and although I would never minimized the impact of an illness on an individual); this hyper focus can on the illness can greatly impact your mental state and worsen your physical health. With that said, here are some suggestions to help cope when facing a health issue.
- Stick to the basics: make sure you get enough water, take your vitamins (especially if you don’t have much of an appetite), eating foods that will nourish and strengthen your body on a cellular level. Mounds of research shows that malnutrition can present itself as anxiety and panic in some people.
- Get moving: make sure you stretch or walk. It’s not necessary to go intense, you simply want to engage your body in light movement to help ease the tension in your body and get the blood flowing. Your blood is rich in nutrients (especially if you’re eating well!).
- Find a moment to relax: this can be as simple as taking 10 deep breaths on the hour (use your phone to set reminders!), it can be meditation, prayer, anything that slows down your breathing
- Have an affirmation: when thoughts of weakness and limitations plague your mind, challenge these thoughts with words of health and ability.
- Practice gratitude: although you are facing a health challenge, identify something you are grateful for in that particular moment. Gratitude is a discipline and a practice.
- Find your outlet: writing, painting, dancing, etc all serve as a means to express what you are feeling and are wonderful ways to let it out!
- Go to all of your medical appointments: I can’t imagine what you may be going through but having a solid treatment team is important in feeling your best.
If you aren’t feeling well physically you can alleviate some of that discomfort by nourishing yourself emotionally and mentally. If you don’t do anything you will only feel worse! Therefore, part of the treatment to getting better is caring for yourself in every sense of the word. As simplistic as the above suggestions may seem, they have the power to comfort you and lead you to a path of better health.