Overwhelmed can be an understatement for some in crisis. When things begin to pile up it can feel like we are literally drowning. It can be difficult to think of what will help in those situations. I recommend having a toolbox or a list of actions that have helped you in the past manage feelings of overwhelm. If you are unsure of where to begin, here I have outlined some actions to try.
1.Unplug from social media and, if possible, switch off your phone.
2. Try to drop all non-essential commitments.
3. Make sure you get out of the house. Deliberately change your environment each day.
4. Make a list of the things you CAN do, and begin by changing at least one of them.
5. Get a grip of the negative thought patterns. Try to focus on something positive.
6. Ask for help from someone who is safe, either a professional or someone you know cares.
The purpose of these actions is to remove anything that is not essential to you to your life at the present moment. Why? In doing so (removing the excess), you will give yourself breathing room and strictly focus on what matters to you and what is a priority in your life and for you.